New Labor Agreement is Agreed Upon by the NBA and the NBPA
Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN reports that a new collective bargaining deal has been reached between the NBA and the NBPA. The two parties reached an agreement to postpone a crucial deadline in the negotiations, which resulted in the 메이저사이트 agreement, which will last for seven years with a mutual opt-out after the sixth.
The league and union revealed a tentative agreement that will begin with the 2023–24 season. In the coming weeks, league governors and players are anticipated to ratify the agreement. According to ESPN’s insiders, the agreement has a mutual opt-out clause after the sixth year.
The in-season tournament that Commissioner Adam Silver has long desired will be implemented, and players will need to play in at least 65 games to qualify for the top individual awards like Most Valuable Player, according to a person familiar with the negotiations who spoke to The Associated Press. Because neither the league nor the National Basketball Players Association made details available to the public, the person spoke on the condition of anonymity.
The complete agreement has not yet been made public, but according to Wojnarowski, Bobby Marks, and Tim Bontemps, the following significant deal points have been reached:
- The long-rumored in-season competition might start as early as the following one. Starting in November, pool play would be incorporated into the regular season schedule before the best eight teams advanced to a single-elimination tournament. The final four would be held at a neutral location, with Las Vegas currently in the lead. Players on the winning squad would each receive $500,000 in cash as a prize.
- The second salary limit apron, which is $17.5 million more than the current apron, will help the league’s most expensive teams rein in their spending.
- A minimum of 65 games will now be required for qualifying for individual player awards. This covers accolades like All-NBA.
- Contract extension limitations for veterans have been loosened. The majority of players will now be able to make up to 140% of their prior salary when a new contract begins, as opposed to the previous cap of 120% in the first year of an extension.
- Shams Charania of The Athletic reports that marijuana has been removed from the anti-drug testing program, a procedure that started during the 2019–20 season, so players will no longer be prohibited from using it.
- Instead of two, teams will be allowed to sign three two-way players.
The new contract must be approved by votes from both owners and players, but it is anticipated to be approved swiftly and without any issues. The NBA is currently negotiating a new national television and streaming deal that will more than double the league’s current television revenue. The NBA is still expanding quickly (especially abroad). (money split between the owners and players). In the end, nobody wanted to take the chance of a strike slaying the golden bird.
A change to the law that would permit high school athletes to participate in the NBA lottery is not included in the CBA. It was discussed and has been on 사설토토 the agenda for months, but nothing is likely to change anytime soon—at least not until the conclusion of the current CBA.
“We also appreciate that there is a lot of benefit to really having veterans who can bring those 18-year-olds along,” NBPA executive director Tamika Tremaglio said in February during an NBPA news conference at All-Star weekend. “And so, certainly anything that we would even consider, to be quite honest, would have to include a component that would allow veterans to be a part of it as well.”